Sunday, April 1, 2012

Moral Living


Jordan Erekson
Period 6
April 1
Moral Living


In the story Tao Te Ching written by Lao tzu there is a lot that we can learn about how we and others can live a moral life. In the first part of the story, he says “We know there is beauty because there is ugly. We know good because there is evil. Being and not being, having and not having, create each other. Difficult and easy, Long and short, high and Low, Define each other, just as before and after follow each other.” (pg. 165) This is the part that truly got me. I know for a fact in my life that these things do exist all around us today. For example this weekend over spring break which was a very nice break with the whether, but over it my mom was reading this book called “The Ugly's” I think is what the name of it was. I had asked her what it was about and she was saying how it is about this population of people who are split up depending on there designs and color of there attributes.
In the Dhammapada by Buddha started off perfectly, it said “All experience is preceded by mind, Led by mind, made by mind. Speak or act with a corrupt mind, And suffering follows As the wheel of the wagon follows the hoof of the ox.” (pg. 155) I believe in life this is all true to a certain point. It takes me to the point where I must be thinking about what I am going to do in order for me to go out and do it. Things don't just happen to happen. They all happen for a reason.
In the end I think one truly lives a moral life by the opposing forces that exist in their path. They must be able to choose between good and evil, must be able to over the lows in order to reach the highs in life. Its all in our mind and our choice whether or not we choose to do it right or wrong. The morals are there we must partake of them and use them for the right outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment