Sunday, March 18, 2012

Peach Blossom


Peach Blossom

The general argument made by T'ao Ch'ien in his work Peach Blossom, is that we cant take things for granted. When we have or know about something special we must cherish it. More specifically, Ch'ien suggests that when you are told to keep a secret that you will find it easier to keep it than to lose with what was said. He writes “On reaching the city, he reported what he had found to the magistrate, who at once sent a man to follow him back to the place. They proceeded according to the marks he had made, but went astray and were unable to find the cave again.” (pg. 344). In this passage, Ch'ien is suggesting that you shouldnt be spreading the word of things that need to be kept secret.
In my view, Ch'ien is correct in his writing and with what he expresses. For example, One time my mom had gone to the store and got a bunch of bags of candy for Halloween, but when she got home she hid them.I of course found them and started to devour it right away. No one knew about it till my mom caught me eating it. She told me I cant tell anyone else where it is hidden or they will eat it all gone. Me wanting to tell people that I had found the stache of cand y told my youngest brother and he went and ate all the rest of the candy. I learned my lesson because I was told not to tell anyone and I did, I had to face the consequence of the candy being all gone for that. Therefore, I conclude that if you are told not to tell anyone you better listen and just keep it to yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment